No boys allowed! From traditional retreats to full-throttle adventures that redefine “feminine,” women find Red Wing the perfect place to celebrate their bonds. We’ve organized a few sample itineraries to get you and your gal-pals started!
- Stay: Size matters with a travelling bridal party. Consider booking multiple rooms at of one our B&Bs to enjoy a sense of sisterhood or lodge together under the fairytale-like Victorian charm of the St. James Hotel as a precursor to the bride’s upcoming big day. Perhaps a playful late-night is just what the group needs to unwind before the wedding bells ring; in that case, Treasure Island Resort & Casino offers you lodging, meals, and entertainment so you can be carefree!
- Dining Out: Bayside Tap & Steakhouse delivers both deliciousness and trendiness as one of the newest restaurants in town. From the bar to the riverview patio to the dining room between, your bridal party will find themselves enjoying Bayside’s casual dining experience. Marie’s Underground Grill & Tap House boasts the motto, “Where the locals go for good food and good fun!” Marie’s is a great place to gather with a group, and with live entertainment as a frequent bonus, you’ll want to stay for both the “good food” and the “good fun.”
- Raise a Glass: Depending on the personality of your group, you may decide to visit one of our wineries for a private wine tasting session. Flower Valley Vineyard and Falconer Vineyard both offer regional varieties to suit an array of palettes. Or the bridal party may decide to let loose to the tune of live entertainment and outdoor summer festivities at Harbor Bar. Their shuttle service will ensure a safe ride back to your Red Wing hotel, so your whole group can relax at once!
- Relax: Let Red Wing whisk the wedding worries away! Refined Skin Medi-Spa offers a “Girls’ Night” special for up to 6 guests, including discounts, refreshments, and appetizers. Wave Spa at Treasure Island Resort & Casino is another destination for pure relaxation. Services range from facials to massages. Try one of their spa packages! Make your spa appointments in advance to ensure a worry-free weekend for the entire bridal party.
- Live Entertainment: Be sure to check our calendar of events for frequent updates to live entertainment listings in the Red Wing area. From local favorites performing most weekend nights at our taverns and pubs to the nationally-known stars playing at Treasure Island, you won’t have to look far to find a night of dancing, laughing, and fun for your bridal party!
- Stay: Signature warmth and hospitality at one of our family-owned B&Bs will make Red Wing your home-away-from-home. Let your hosts do the cooking for you–and the dishes, too! With garden spaces and intricate interiors, you will find yourselves surrounded by special-ness.
- Dining Out: Lunch at the Veranda will give you a perfect excuse to add a distinctive St. James flavor to your Mother-Daughter itinerary. The Veranda offers 3 settings under 1 establishment: the Porch (where you can enjoy coffee or appetizers from over-sized rocking chairs), the Patio (bringing you the cool river air to complement your meal), and the Hoopskirt Bar (because a Bloody Mary with Mom is a memory in the making). Bev’s Café is a small-town, full-service restaurant well-known for its home-style comfort cuisine. Or perhaps a trip to Falconer Vineyard & Winery would be ideal, where together you can savor regional wine, wood-fired pizza, and picturesque views from the patio bistro.
- Raise a Glass: From craft-root beer at the Red Wing Brewery and milkshakes at Bev’s Café to Starbucks or chai tea at Clara’s Café to a glass of wine among the vines of one of our vineyards, Red Wing can provide a setting for sipping just right for mothers and daughters of all ages.
- Relax: Bring Mom to Fair Trade Book Store to pick up a favorite read for the café or park. While you are downtown, enjoy a leisurely stroll along the quaint streets of Downtown Red Wing, beautifully adorned with over 150 hanging flower baskets or wander through the flowerbeds in the city’s many parks. Does Mom have a green thumb of her own? Perhaps perusing the floral aisles at Hallstrom’s or Sargent’s Nursery will be her bliss. Or enjoy a creative potting class together to unwind.
- Shop: Downtown Red Wing features an eclectic mix of shops. The Uffda Shop is a favorite among tourists (no accent required), as is the Red Wing Shoe Store, which carries a full line of women’s foot apparel, as well as clothing and souvenirs. Antiquing continues to be a favorite pastime across generations and, with shops such as Larry’s Jugs, you just might find that perfect piece to complete a collection … or to begin a Pinterest project together!
- Live Entertainment: Add a night at the theater to your itinerary for a truly unique and special experience. Shows by award-winning performers inside our beloved Sheldon Theatre take on an extra sense of excitement, a sensation inherent in the gorgeous, historic, and intriguing venue. Bring your blankets and a picnic on a Wednesday evening to the Red Wing Arts Association’s Summer Concert Series in Central Park for a night of free musical entertainment. For an added touch of uniqueness, attend a live folk music performance in the Music Loft of the noteworthy Hobgoblin Barn. Many of our restaurants feature local musicians. Check our calendar for updates to find out who is playing where!
Gutsy Girls Getaway
For those with more spice than sugar, Red Wing has your recipe for adventure!
- Stay: Hay Creek Campground welcomes you to overnight by tent, RV, or trailer. Forget posh quilts; you’ll be nestled in by the scenic bluffs of the river valley. The adjacent hardwood forest and miles and miles of horse, bike, and walking trails will beckon you and your girl posse to set forth into the great outdoors.
- Dining Out: No time for salad forks and tea cups? Pop into a sandwich shop for a delicious, hometown-quality sandwich, soup, or salad, or grab a sub to toss in the backpack before you embark. Mandy’s Café and Coffee has an interesting selection of paninis and drinks. Kiki’s Simple Abundance can provide you with organic fruit, protein bars, and granola to keep your energy, or choose to stock up at the Red Wing Farmer’s Market, featuring gluten-free breads and other homemade goods. Of course, every girl likes a slice of unforgettable pizza, especially after a hard day of play, so you will want to add a stop at the Red Wing Brewery to your itinerary to enjoy one of their signature pizza or calzone creations.
- Raise a Glass: You will want to make a stop at the Red Wing Brewery to savor the craft brews which have been recreated from regional historical ale recipes. Marie’s Underground Grill & Tap House and Bayside Tap & Steakhouse have a variety of specialty brews in fun environments as well. Directly across the river, Harbor Bar combines a small town watering hole atmosphere with a full line-up of summertime outdoor music festivals. Oliver’s Wine Bar includes great wine with an interesting menu of unique and comfort food.
- Relax: Some girls find a bubble bath relaxing … and other girls prefer meditation in motion and a surge of endorphins to feel revitalized. Red Wing caters to active enthusiasts, so the only difficulty you and your girlfriends will have with this portion of your itinerary is finding a way to conquer it all in just one trip. Purchase a Wheel Pass and hop on the 19.7 mile long Cannon Valley Trail, which features scenic view sheds to use while you hike, bike, inline skate, or cross-country ski the route. Need equipment? Stop in at Red Wing Bicycle Co. & Outfitters–they will fit you out. Find serenity in nature by booking a guided kayaking tour through Broken Paddle Guiding. Hiking in Red Wing is another winning choice, with trails to such heights as Sorin Bluff (Memorial Park) and Barn Bluff, where you’ll get your workout, and an amazing view of the of the Mississippi River and Red Wing below. On belay? Forget the footpath and hook up your harness for rock climbing at Barn Bluff. Looking for winter adventure? Get a group pass and take on a shredding session at Welch Village Ski & Snowboard Area, where the slopes satisfy first-timers (lessons available) to seasoned pros.
- Shop: Red Wing Shoe Store carries a full line of women’s hiking boots, backpacking boots, running shoes, and top-quality gear that will keep you active.
- Live Entertainment: Entertainers keep Red Wing’s vibe alive into the night. Stop into one of our pubs or tap houses for a night of live performers. Check our calendar for updates to find out what’s happening in town. From country and rock bands to open mic and karaoke, comedy acts to hypnotists, a stage in-house to an outdoor festival, you are sure to find a fun time!
Glamour Girls Getaway
- Stay: If you’re looking for sophistication and style, look no further than the iconic St. James Hotel. Complete with spas, shopping courtyard, fine dining, and an ambiance of elegance, you and your girlfriends will find yourselves surrounded by luxury. Or join traveling trendsetters who delight in the uniqueness of bed & breakfast lodging, where each property and set of hosts gives a distinctive experience. With whirlpools, gourmet menus, and ornate décor, B&Bs have become the new chic!
- Dining Out: The Port Restaurant inside the St. James Hotel has held onto its fantastic culinary reputation for over 140 years. Its masterful chef creates seasonal wonders every night, and, when dinner is paired with award-winning wines from The Port’s cellar, patrons of this Red Wing restaurant experience upscale dining rivaling that of any metropolitan table. The Staghead Gastropub is grabbing a spotlight of its own as one of Red Wing’s newest hotspots. Staghead’s distinction comes from their culinary expertise in preparing handcrafted, locally sourced meals.
- Raise a Glass: From the carefree air of the Hoopskirt Bar in the St. James Hotel, to intriguing varietal flavors coming together in sophistication at Falconer’s Vineyard and Flower Valley Vineyard, Red Wing provides you with occasion to raise your glass extraordinarily. Kelly’s Tap House Bar & Grill also has a great selection of beers on tap–including 30 Minnesota beers.
- Relax: River Blue Dayspa and Refined Skin Medi-Spa in the St. James Shopping Court and Wave Spa at Treasure Island Resort & Casino, have all the right resources to pamper you and your girlfriends from head to toe, including massages and facials, mani-pedi options, and spa packages. Make your spa appointment in advance for a worry-free experience. Add to your inner tranquility by booking a yoga session to complete your revitalization.
- Shop: Trendsetting girls like you need a place to find fresh styles. Red Wing has become a shopping a destination because of its originality. The unique boutiques and shops downtown make for a fun attraction to explore on foot. Stop by the Uffda Shop for a selection of exquisite crystal pieces, whimsical children’s gifts, Nordic sweaters, authentic lefse and krumkake supplies, lotions, and so much more! Cut Above Home features interior décor, and Whimsy’s Closet brings you novel items to add to your wardrobe. Check out the unique cards and scented oils at Kiki’s Simple Abundance, and then step right next door to the Fair Trade Book Store where you will find new and used books on every subject. The Red Wing Shoe Store is a must-stop for the fashion forward. Red Wing boots have taken “function” and created a niche for themselves in the world of “fashion.” The iconic styling of Red Wing boots has become a symbol of American ruggedness, even earning their own Pinterest fashion pins. Duck inside the St. James Hotel to find more shops waiting for you! The Levee will make your shopping trip truly unique with a one-of-a-kind jacket or sweater. In fact, The Levee is Minnesota’s exclusive distributor of Blue Willi’s knits from Denmark. At Vestiges, you’ll find racks of hand-crafted jackets, luxurious sweaters and special denims. While you are downtown, stop in at the Red Wing Arts Association to shop their gift gallery full of one-of-a-kind, artist-created pieces to add to your home or to share as gifts.
- Live Performances: Imagine you and your girlfriends unwinding on the patio with a glass of regional wine, a decadent dessert, and the glow of a summer’s evening sun highlighting your perfect evening at the vineyard. Now add the delightful notes of live music to your scene, and you have the perfect, picturesque setting to unwind with your closest friends. At Falconer’s Vineyards, the Music in the Vines summer series welcomes you to partake in the sensations of sights, sounds, and tastes as an encompassing experience.